Edward Tobinick M.D. Biography
Edward Tobinick M.D. Biography
Edward Lewis Tobinick graduated Phi Beta Kappa and Magna Cum Laude with honors in biology from Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts, received his M.D. from the University of California San Diego School of Medicine in La Jolla, California, and completed post-graduate residencies at UCLA. Dr. Tobinick is the founder of the Institute of Neurological Recovery® in Los Angeles, California and the INR PLLC in Boca Raton, Florida. Dr. Tobinick has been an invited ad hoc expert reviewer for the journals Brain Research, Clinical Drug Investigation, CNS Drugs, Current Alzheimer Research, Drug Discovery Today, Experimental Neurology, Future Neurology, Journal of Neurochemistry, Journal of Neuroimmunology, Neuroscience, and Pharmaceutical Medicine and a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Neuroinflammation.
Dr. Tobinick has presented his scientific findings regarding the effects of etanercept for neurological disorders at multiple U.S. and international medical and scientific conferences, including the Karolinska Institute in Sweden; the 2008 Drug Repositioning Summit in Boston; the International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease in Chicago; the 7th Annual Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Conference in New York; the 2008 Best Practices in the Continuum of Care: Advances in Alzheimer’s Disease Management conference at the University of Arkansas Medical Sciences in Little Rock, Arkansas; and, in 2009, the 3rd International Restauracion Neurologica Conference in Havana, Cuba, the World Pharmaceutical Congress in Philadelphia and the 5th Modern Drug Discovery Conference in San Diego. Dr. Tobinick has performed collaborative research with scientists from Stanford University School of Medicine and additional academic centers. Download a copy of Dr Tobinick’s Curriculum Vitae PDF Here.
Selected Scientific Publications
- Edward Tobinick, Rodriguez-Romanacce H, Kinssies R, Kim N. Perispinal Etanercept for Traumatic Brain Injury. Chapter 7 In: Heidenreich KA, editor. New Therapeutics for Traumatic Brain Injury. Cambridge, Mass.: Academic Press; 2017. p. 109-29. LINK.
- Perispinal Delivery of CNS Drugs. Edward Tobinick MD. CNS Drugs. 2016:30(6):469-80. (Download free full-text PDF)
- Author’s Reply to Whitlock: Perispinal Etanercept for Post-Stroke Neurological and Cognitive Dysfunction: Scientific Rationale and Current Evidence. Ignatowski TA, Spengler RN, Tobinick E. CNS Drugs, 2014 Dec;28(12):1207-13. do: 10.1007/s40263-014-0212-0. (Download free full-text PDF)
- Perispinal Etanercept for Post-Stroke Neurological and Cognitive Dysfunction: Scientific Rationale and Current Evidence. Ignatowski TA, Spengler RN, Dhandapani KM, Folkersma H, Butterworth RF, Tobinick E. CNS Drugs, August 2014, 28(8):679-697, published online 27 May 2014. (Download free full-text PDF)
- Immediate neurological recovery following perispinal etanercept years after brain injury. Tobinick E, Rodriguez-Romanacce H, Levine A, Ignatowski TA, Spengler RN. Clin Drug Investig. 2014 May;34(5):361-6.
- Selective TNF Inhibition for Chronic Stroke and Traumatic Brain Injury – An Observational Study Involving 629 Consecutive Patients Treated with Perispinal Etanercept. Edward Tobinick MD, Nancy M. Kim MD, et.al. CNS Drugs. 2012 Dec;26(12):1051-70.
- Rapid improvement of chronic stroke deficits after perispinal etanercept: three consecutive cases. Edward Tobinick MD. CNS Drugs. 2011 Feb 1; 25(2):145-155.
- Perispinal etanercept: a new therapeutic paradigm in neurology. Edward Tobinick MD. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 2010 Jun;10(6):985-1002.
- Tumour necrosis factor modulation for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease: rationale and current evidence. Edward Tobinick MD. CNS Drugs. 2009 Sep 1;23(9):713-25.
- The value of drug repositioning in the current pharmaceutical market. Edward Tobinick MD. Drug News Perspect. 2009 Mar;22(2):119-25. Review.
- Rapid intracerebroventricular delivery of Cu-DOTA-etanercept after peripheral administration demonstrated by PET imaging. Edward Tobinick MD, K Chen PhD, X Chen PhD. BMC Res Notes. 2009 Feb 27;2:28.
- Perispinal etanercept for neuroinflammatory disorders. Edward Tobinick MD. Drug Discovery Today. 2009 Feb;14(3-4):168-77.
- Perispinal etanercept produces rapid improvement in primary progressive aphasia: identification of a novel, rapidly reversible TNF-mediated pathophysiologic mechanism. Edward Tobinick MD. Medscape J Med. 2008 Jun 10;10(6):135.
- Rapid improvement in verbal fluency and aphasia following perispinal etanercept in Alzheimer’s disease. Edward Tobinick MD, H. Gross MD. BMC Neurology. 2008 Jul 21;8:27.
- Re: Inflammatory markers and the risk of Alzheimer disease: the Framingham Study. Edward Tobinick MD. Neurology. 2008 Apr 1;70(14):1222-3.
- Perispinal etanercept for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Edward Tobinick MD. Current Alzheimer Research. 2007 Dec;4(5):550-2.
- A critique of intradiscal administration for treatment of radiculopathy. Edward Tobinick MD. Anesthesiology. 2008 Feb;108(2):334.
- Rapid cognitive improvement in Alzheimer’s disease following perispinal etanercept administration. Edward Tobinick MD, Hyman Gross MD. Journal of Neuroinflammation. 2008 Jan 9;5:2.
- Spinal delivery of p38: TNF-alpha inhibitors. E Tobinick MD. PLoS Med. 2006 Nov;3(11):e511.
- TNF-alpha modulation for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease: a 6-month pilot study. Edward Tobinick MD, Hyman Gross MD, Alan Weinberger MD, Hart Cohen MD. MedGenMed. 2006 Apr 26;8(2):25.
- The cerebrospinal venous system: anatomy, physiology, and clinical implications. Edward Tobinick MD. MedGenMed. 2006 Feb 22;8(1):53.
- Efficacy of etanercept delivered by perispinal administration for chronic back and/or neck disc-related pain: a study of clinical observations in 143 patients. Edward Tobinick MD, Susan Davoodifar MD. Curr Med Res Opin. 2004 Jul;20(7):1075-85.
- Targeted etanercept for treatment-refractory pain due to bone metastasis: two case reports. Edward L. Tobinick MD. Clinical Therapeutics. 2003 Aug;25(8):2279-88.